Dallas Bike Ride
, the city’s biggest car-free bike ride, is Nov. 3, from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Even though there will be no vehicles on the roadways, participants should exercise good bike riding habits.
Here are six tips for making it a safe 20-mile ride:
- Tune-up your bike before the ride – make sure you inflate tires properly; tighten brakes, and ensure the chain is running smoothly.
- Protect your head – wear a helmet.
- Don’t get distracted – avoid wearing headphones or talking on phone while riding.
- Ride safe - keep both hands on the handlebars (except when signaling for a turn) and feet on pedals.
- Stay alert – be aware of any obstacles in your path.
- Cyclists riding with kids – have them ride in front of you, not behind.
The bike ride begins at Dallas City Hall. The best way to get there is on DART. Take the Red, Blue, Orange or Green line into downtown Dallas and get off at Akard Station. It’s a short bike ride from there.
Remember, the center section of each rail vehicle has low floors that are level with the platform – perfect bringing on your bicycle.
Make sure you have downloaded DART’s GoPass® app. It takes the hassle out of buying a transit pass. The app is free, and you can download it from either the App Store or Google Play store.
Learn more at dallasbikeride.com.